Monday, December 15, 2008

Those were the days - Barak and Stacy Asbill

Although my brothers and I grew up with wonderful grandparents, it is you, Brother and Sister duCille, who have been our spiritual granddad and grandma. Whether we were small children growing up on the farm, teenagers going through all the challenges that that time of life presents, or young adults striving to move in the direction of God’s plan and purpose for our lives, throughout the years you have always been there for us.

There are so many fond memories that I have of both of you…
I remember when I was a young girl and you and Sister duCille would come to visit us and minister to the Dubuque fellowship. I can remember how you would go to sleep with a cap on because it was so cold. I recall a time years later when you once again braved the winter’s cold to perform Barak’s and my wedding ceremony. Bless you, Brother duCille, for not letting anything deter you from ministering to the people of God - not even a Midwest blizzard!

Another time I remember is going to the grocery store with Sister duCille and getting the ingredients to make a Jamaican meal. She showed me how to open a coconut and together we made Toto, a Jamaican cake. Those were the days when I knew Sister duCille as a wonderful grandma; as I have grown up, married, and become a mother, I have come to know Sister duCille as the absolutely remarkable woman that she is.

When I think of Sister duCille, I think of Proverbs 31 and the description we are given of a virtuous woman. Some have asked if the Proverbs 31 woman is truly attainable or just a poetic figure; Sister duCille’s life answers that question of attainability with a resounding “Yes!” The entirety of Proverbs 31 is like reading the story of her life and she has inspired me and countless other women in pursuing being a virtuous woman, just like she has always been.

I want to express my heartfelt appreciation to you both, Brother and Sister duCille, for being spiritual grandparents to my husband and me, my brothers, and all those in the Body of Christ who are part of our generation. You have demonstrated godliness of character to us and inspired us in our marriages. You have been our biggest cheerleaders and have always been so encouraging in our walk with the Lord. We thank God upon every remembrance of you and love you both so very much!

With all our hearts,
Barak and Stacy

No comments: